supportfor divi child themes
Welcome to Big Max’s Studio support page for our Divi Child Themes. All of the themes follow the same instructions.
Big Max’s Studio has launched a new Facebook Group Design Your Website In A Week a great place to find answers to your burning questions on tweaking your child theme to represent you. Also, a wonderful place to share inspiration.
After reading the instructions below, if you get stuck with the installation, please submit a ticket.
installing and using divi
In order to get started, you must first start with installing the Divi parent theme. In section .01, you will learn the installation as well as finding your way around Divi. Elegant Themes documentation is informative and easy to follow.
Here is the first place you should start, to get you off on the right foot.
divi documentation and support forums
Elegant Themes Divi Theme Documentation, has sections on Basics, Modules, Library, Theme and Module Customizers, and Additional Features.
If you still have questions, submit a support Divi Support Forum in the members’ area is great.
The Elegant Themes blog with its Divi Resources tag is always helpful.
Divi Nation is the podcast to tune in to for interesting and downright brilliant Divi talk.
The Divi Theme Users Facebook group when I first started using Divi was such help with the masterminds sharing their knowledge and open to discussions.
Here’s the official Divi installation video by Elegant Themes.
This video by Elegant Themes will introduce you to the Divi Builder and will give you the basic principles of the Divi page builder.
The Divi Builder is very intuitive and you may find you can just dive in, but if you get stuck the Divi Basics section of the Elegant Themes Divi Documentation area has excellent walkthroughs that will give you a thorough overview.
installing your child theme
Our one-step install is a complete replica of the demo website. Yes, the pages, posts, images, menus and everything else are included.
The child theme automatically downloads into the file you have selected on your computer for downloads.
upload and install the child theme
Go to Appearance > Themes.
Upload and install your child theme in the Themes area and activate the theme. Make sure you have installed Divi first.
click the import button
Once you have installed the child theme, the import window will open and all you have to do is click the import button.
how to personalize the child theme
Personalizing your child theme can seem scary, but trust us it’s not. Below we have included sections of WordPress and Divi to help you along.
wordpress setting area
On the dashboard, go to Settings. Below are two areas that you are going to want to get configured right away.
Go to Settings > Reading.
- In the Front page displays area select A static page. Set the Front page to be HOME or whatever other crazy name you’ve given the page you want people to land on first.
- If you are planning to use the theme’s included blog layout (rather than let WordPress autogenerate the blog page) leave the Posts page as -Select- and click the blue Save Changes button before you move on.
Go to Settings > Permalinks.
- Select Post name as your permalink setting – we find this one works best for most sites. Save Changes before you leave.
divi theme options
Go to Divi > Theme Options and have a look around.
- What you need for now will be in the General Settings tab.
- This is where you set your Logo image, enter your social media Profile URLs and select your Colour Pickers Default Palette.
- You can also add your social media links here
- Click on the Updates tap and insert your Elegant Themes username and the API key so you’ll get all of the Divi updates.
divi theme customizer
Go to Divi > Theme Customizer
- The sidebar on the left gives you access to global settings for all sorts of aspects of your site. On the right is your site, so you can see the effect of any changes you make in real time.
- Work through the tabs, methodically changing colours, fonts and any other controls to reflect your brand.
- To update your Favicon image, go to Site Identity > Site Icon area. Just make sure the file is 512px x 512px and is a png or jpg!
- One you will want to get to is Footer > Bottom Bar > EDIT FOOTER CREDITS (unless of course you want us to take the credit in perpetuity for your website in all its glory).
- The controls in the bottom left corner are super handy for taking a look at how your site will appear on different device screens.
- Click on the blue Save & Publish button at the top left when you’re happy with any changes you make in here
working with the links
- The child themes contain navigation links that use URLs.
- When you first install the child theme, all of the links default to the demo. You will need to change the URLs to your own content. A missed URL will send you back to the our demo website. This can be frustrating, but you’ll get the hang of it.
- Links may be to pages, posts or external links. You’ll find the URL in the settings for the module that has the link.
- Scrolling links (the ones that take you to a particular place on a page) have #whatever at the end of the URL. You should leave that #ending untouched because it works with a CSS ID anchor we have included.
- You can also make your own scrolling links by inserting the anchor word of your choice in the CSS ID setting for a section, row or module.
working with images
Our recommended image sizes (longest side) are:
- Full width images: 1920px
- Gallery images :1200px
- Blog post images and images for central content: 1080px
Go to Media > Media Library. You will see the images that came with the download – they are there as place holders only and won’t be needed once you’ve got your own fabulous images uploaded. It’s really easy to upload your own image files by clicking Add New and using drag and drop or Select Files according to preference.
- To change an image displayed by a module go to its settings and edit Image URL, Background Image URL or the Gallery associated with the module.
- To change an image displayed by a widget (in sidebar and footer areas) go to Appearance > Widgets and edit settings for the widget.
working with css
Our child themes contain a small amount of custom code (CSS) to give your theme its personal touch.
We have written the least possible code required and annotated it clearly so that you can update it easily if you need to. Importantly, changes you make to our CSS won’t be affected when you update the Divi parent theme.
Go to Appearance > Theme Editor. You will see the Stylesheet for your child theme.
integrating your social media
Here are some starting points for integrating our recommended social media tools, which are generally free plugins or free widgets.
MONARCH SOCIAL SHARE & FOLLOW PLUGIN
- MONARCH is a plugin for social follow and share buttons that is included with your Elegant Themes membership. You can add share and follow buttons to pages, posts, sidebars and footer areas.
- You will need to go into Tools > Monarch Settings to configure this plugin.
Instead of a plugin, I recommend using SnapWidget. There are free and paid version. I use the free and so do all of my clients.
i have more questions
If you haven’t found answers to your questions, please submit a support ticket and we will help you out.
plugins that are a must
The following plugins are on almost all of the websites we developed.
post to social media
The plugin I recommend is Blog2Social. There is a free and paid version. In order to automatically schedule your blog posts, you will have to have the paid version.
woocommerce for e-commerce
Selling through your website has never been easier with the WooCommerce plugin. It is free and easy to install. Once installed, you can configure your PayPal or Stripe, account easily.
Divi now has built-in WooCommerce integration and you can insert your shop into any page to display your products or product categories.
Security is extremely important and Wordfence works well.
for file management
So you don’t have to use FTP, File Manager is a great plugin.
bloom e-mail opt-ins
This plugin will help you build your email list. It is included with your Elegant Themes membership.